Thursday, March 13, 2014

Forbidden: Discover the Legend by Tina Smith

Genre: YA Fantasy, romance, paranormal, werewolves
Release Date: July 20, 2012
Publisher: OUTSKIRTS PRESS
Format: ebook                     Pages: 380
Series: Wolf Sirens #1      Sources: Netgalley

This review contains spoilers. Normally, I do not include spoilers; I hate spoilers, but I used some points to support my comments in my review.

Goodreads Synapsis:

Forbidden: Discover the Legend (Wolf Sirens, #1)The Mystical Bond, the Fatal Allure ... of Hunter & Prey

Misunderstood seventeen year old Lila Crain unwillingly moves to the foreboding town of Shade, prepared to face her punishment - Shade High. But she can't begin to anticipate the life-altering events that lie in wait for her. 

The dark and charismatic Reid has a wolfish grin and amber eyes that would make any girl blush and he has his sights set on the new girl in school. 
Reid's stunning friends - including icy top dog Sam - invite Lila into their clique. Suspicious, yet flattered by their attention she answers the intriguing call like a moth to a flame.

Thrillingly introduced to the local nightlife by the enigmatic group, Lila finally feels like she belongs. But her newly found friendships threaten to turn sour when she unwittingly develops feelings for the leader's off-limits boyfriend, Sky. 
Tensions rise further when a quirky local named Cresida warns Lila to stay away from the clique at all costs.

Undeterred, she is irresistibly drawn to uncover the truth behind their mysterious lifestyle.
Lila unwittingly starts off a chain of events that will forever alter fate for both hunter and hunted as she learns they have been waiting for her...

Inspired by the legend of the femme fatale goddess, Artemis, Wolf Sirens is a compelling gothic masterpiece of paranormal romance. 

Forbidden, Fever, Night Fall and the soon to be released Dusk in Shade - all continue the tale of Lila Crain, the heroine with the chip on her shoulder, on an epic paranormal journey in which forbidden love threatens to destroy the underworld.

My Thoughts:

The Cover: Seeing the cover to this, I was very excited. It is a beautiful cover portraying a wolf silhouette in a shadowy forest. All dark and grey; enough to incite excitement and anticipation in supernatural fans, everywhere.

The Plot:  Sadly, the plot left a lot to be desired. If you have read my blog or my reviews from http://mybookishfairytale.blogspot.ca/ you will probably know I am a huge werewolf fan. (ummm, Bitten? Love Kelley Armstrong!) So, I couldn’t wait to get into this. I don’t know if I just have high standards, having read and enjoyed all of the Women of the Otherworld series, but I honestly did not enjoy this book. I made it through, but found that the plotline was very unrealistic and at times very twilightish. They may have been wolves, but at points, it seemed reminiscent of a certain sparkly vampire and love-struck human, both of whom shall remain unnamed.

Characters:  I found the characters to be very bland and predictable. Our main protagonist seemed almost narcissistic and shallow, while Sam the domineering alpha, seemed to only be capable of having, or making everyone fall at her feet and do as she told them. And Reid? Come on, really? Dude spent weeks watching and keeping Lila from revealing their secret and then he fought with Sky, his best friend over her? Sky’s conveniently not with Sam; it was all a show and then he wants to be with Lila? All the while, she was really a hunter? So much of this is just not realistic, even for a fantasy story.

Is it Worth Reading?:  I am sorry to have to say it, but a howling NO. At times, the grammar was distracting; the plotline was extremely disappointing and predictable. I will not be looking for any of the other books in the series, nor would I recommend it to anyone. I give it 1/5 crossbows, dipped in silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment