Wednesday, August 13, 2014

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)Genre: YA Contemporary
Release Date: April 6, 2010
Publisher: Speak
Format: paperback                 Pages: 262
Series: If I Stay #1
Sources: Kristen @ mybookishfairytale@blogspot.ca







Goodreads Synopsis:

Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel.

I open my eyes wide now.
I sit up as much as I can.
And I listen.

Stay, he says.

Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?
Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.
If I Stay is a heartachingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make.


My Thoughts: 

The Cover: The cover of If I Stay is very peaceful and tranquil, almost plain if you really think about it. Nothing like the story itself, which is full of turmoil and emotion.

The Plot:  If I Stay is an amazingly well written book. Even though flashbacks can be difficult to pull off if not done right, Gayle's flashback scenses are down so well that it does not interupt the conituity of the story. If I Stay tells a heartbreaking story of an girl and her family, both immediately after horrific tragedy and throught the years as they became the family that they are.

The Characters: What beautifully written characters. So much emotion, the characters all had depth and personality. I loved Mia and Adam from the beginning, so different, yet so in love. Mia's parents were so very cool with their own passionate love story. I want Kim to be my best friend; she was just so kick-ass and knew what to do or say at precisely the right time.


Is it Worth Reading?:  With a box of tissue!!! I took my time reading this one, and then ordered my own copy, plus Where She Went, which is the next book. This book was just such a moving story that I know I will read it again and again. I am looking forward to the upcoming movie with Chloe Grace Mortez. It will be interesting to see how it lives up to the book. But in the meantime, I totally recommend If I Stay and give it 5 out of 5 crossbows.




No comments:

Post a Comment