Monday, July 7, 2014

Witch's Brew by Heidi R. Kling

Witch's Brew (The Spellspinners of Melas County, #1)Genre: YA paranormal, witches, fantasy, romance
Release Date: January 11, 2012
Publisher: Coliloquy, LLC
Format: ebook                     Pages: 342
Series: The Spellspinners of Melas County #1
Sources: Publisher


Goodreads Synopsis

The Spellspinners of Melas County is a fantasy YA romance series about a witch, a warlock, and their fight for their forbidden but prophesied love.

Once soulmates, the witch and warlock covens of the California coast have been estranged for a century. Raised to hate each other, their teenagers meet in the Solstice Stones, a magical battleground where they draw energy from each other to maintain their balance. 16 year olds Logan and Lily have spent years training for their first Stones…only to discover just days before that the enemy may not be what either of them had thought.

In Witch’s Brew, Lily is torn between her feelings for Logan and her coven’s need to know who—or what—he is. The young lovers race against time, their distrust for each other, and the powerful influence of their elders to unravel the mystery of their pasts before their future is destroyed.

This is an Active Fiction title
"Active fiction" is a new type of e-reading experience that allows the reader and the author to interact with each other and the text in new and different ways.

In Witch’s Brew, Lily and Logan's fate is already decided, but Heidi explores several different possible pathways for how they get there. She shares scenes that wouldn’t normally fit in a book format and gives readers more precious moments between the two young lovers. As the series progresses, you'll see some normal narrative forms, interspersed with smaller scenes, alternate points of view, and a lot of "what if" scenarios.


My Thoughts: 

The Cover: The cover of Witch's Brew is so pretty and mysterious. I absolutely love the lilies around the edge of the cover and I am guessing that's our beautiful protagonist peaking out. I did think it looked a little immature and was slightly afraid that I might be reading some really YA material.
The Plot:  Wow, the story line was absolutely captivating. It flowed so well, I feel like I literally fell into the story. Or maybe that whole slipping into a dream thing is a better way to describe it. Right from the first page it was just so entertaining and so very defferent from anything I had ever read.

And of course, I loved the return to Action Fiction. There was the added bonus of going back to the last choice and picking the opposite. But I couldn't help it, I just had to keep going. I was so wrapped up in the story line. And I know I will read this book again.

The Characters: I immediately fell in love with our protagonists and their best buds. I really have high hopes for Chance and Orchid in The Gleaning. Even the supporting characters were very well defined and Jacob gives me chills when I read his parts.
Is it Worth Reading?:  Oh, hot damn, ya. This story is one to read and read

again and then yet again. This book just took right off and kept running until suddenly it ran right off that dreaded cliff. I don't like cliffhanger endings, but this one left me breathless. Thank the gods I have book 2, The Gleaning. It was all I could do to stop and write this. I definitely recommend Witch's Brew to readers of and give it 5 /5 crossbows!

No comments:

Post a Comment